Vaishya Vani(Devanagri:वैश्य वाणी), is a trader/merchant community hailing from the western coast of India, residing in the Konkan division of Maharashtra, Goa,some parts of coastal and central Karnataka, and Kerala. This community commonly known as Vanis (वाणी) and sometimes Kudali Vanis (कुडाळी वाणी). They speak dialects ofMarathi and Konkani.
The Vaisya/Vani community, the third highest in the classical varna system, is a single endogamous group of Kudali Vanis in Goa who later migrated to other states during Inquisition period. They are traditionally traders and commercial communities, though the Vaisya community in Goa is relatively small in comparison to other states in India.They are concentrated in urban areas, especially Mapusa, Ponda, Margaotowns in Goa, Karwar in Karnataka and throughout the Konkan coast.
They are non-vegetarian but abstain from eating pork and beef.
- They are divided into 37 Gotras like Bharadwaj, Saunatya, Mahendra, Panika, Gautam, Chanaksha, Vishnuvardhan, etc.
- They bear surnames like Khadye,Alve, Ardekar, Banare, Bidaye, Bobhate,Chavan, Dhamnaskar,Dhavale, Govekar, Taishete, Kanekar, Nagvekar, Kamerkar, Kanade, Korgaonkar, Kesarkar, Padte, Berde, Bandekar, Gavandalkar, Teli,Narvekar, Narkar, Khalap, Mejari, Redij, Sadadekar, Shetti, Damodare,Gangan,shirodkar, Khatu, Lad,Munj, etc.
- They worship deities like Mahalakshmi, Shri Ekviradevi, Shantadurga,Shri Mahalasa Narayani, Chamundeshwari, Bhagaveshwar, Kelbai, Kanakeshwari, etc. as their Kuldevtas.
- Major subgroups by geography are Thanekar Vaishya around Thane, Raigad district, Sangameshwari Vaishya in Ratnagiri District, Patnastha Vaishya Vani (a small group around Kharepantan taluka between Ratnagiri and Sindhudurg District), Kudale Vaishya Vani from Sindhudurg District, Karwar Vaishya Vani from Uttar Kannada District. Further Konkani-speaking Goamantak Vaishya Vani samaj. Konkani- and Kannada-speaking Vaishya Vani samaj commonly know as "kannada vaishya sangha" in Karnataka, Goa and Maharashtra. Small communities bordering Konkan Belt in Kolhapur District and in Belgaum..
- Maharastra Government has withdrawn OBC status for the caste by GR on 19th July 2011 .